Saturday 12 February 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Wk 7 - Toys


Week #7 – Toys. What was your favourite childhood toy? Is it still being made in some form today?
Week 7: This challenge runs from Saturday, February 12 through to Friday, February 18 2011

I started Sandfield School, at Guildford Surrey, just before my fifth birthday; I started in the September and my birthday was in the October. In the Summer, the school held its annual fete and all new attendees were invited to go to the fete. I remember Mum taking me and being allowed to select a toy from one of the stands. The toy I chose was a little finger puppet, about 3 inches long of a mouse, in red and white with a pink and white stripped tail. I called this little thing Moppet, and just where I got than name from I have no idea. Now, 38 years later, I still have Moppet, and it usually sits in my desk drawer!

About the same time, the School celebrated its 75th Birthday and produced a mug to celebrate the event. I still have my mug, it hangs from a beam in our kitchen/breakfast room.

I still have my childhood books, a set of original Noddy Books by Enid Blyton, lovingly read and may still have the Woolworths price ticket of 12p on the front. I have always kept them for my children, but as I don't have any they sit in my study on a shelf next to a set of Beatrice Potter books.

I do recall being given a jigsaw puzzle by my Great Aunt, it was a favourite and the picture when it was made up was of Noah's Ark. I wonder what happened to it? I did used to love playing with Lego. I sadly don't have any of my childhood pieces, although it is still made today. I also played marbles and do still have a few that I particularly liked.

When I was about 3 I was given by my Grandfather a 1p stamp in a matchbox. I then spent lots of my childhood collecting stamps and still have that collection, although I do no longer collect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...