Friday 13 April 2012

Blogging A-Z - April Challenge - L is for .....


L is for...... .Localities

As I research the various lines of my ancestry that have migrated to Australia it is important to me that I understand a little about those places in both a general and genealogical sense. As I have said previously. Australia is a huge Country therefore it is important to understand the general geography of the Country and the States and then the individual places of interest.

As I was planning this post, I remembered back to my first visit. When my Cousin's daughter, now a Mum herself came home from school. She had gone to school and told everyone she had a cousin from England staying. So, she excitedly came up to me with the atlas the teacher had given her and presented it to me, open at the Australia page and asked me to show her where I lived. I turned the pages to the page of England and made a small pencil mark for the teacher and then I turned the page to the map that effectively shows world over two pages. I then marked England on the map and showed the distance to Australia. Then very simply, once she was over the shock of how far, she remarked, that England is tiny it would surely fit into New South Wales many times.

Thinking back to my posts about Henry Goucher HERE and HERE, it is remarked that he boarded a ship from Sydney to Newcastle and then again from Newcastle to Derwent in Tasmania. Did naughty Henry have any concept that actually the distance he travelled was hundreds of miles, yet in the same Country? We shall never know what he did think, but it is an interesting thought nonetheless.

So, where did my ancestors live - 
  • Ellis & Turpin Families - migrated to Geelong in Victoria 1854-1855
  • Robert Turpin - Transported to New South Wales in 1833
  • John Hunt Butcher - migrated to Richmond in Tasmania in 1821with later branches of the family to Carnamah district Western Australia
  • Henry Goucher - Transported to New South Wales in 1812 spending time in Newcastle & Derwent Tasmania
  • Noack's, Hartwig's and Hohnberg's migrated to South Australia and then spread into Victoria and New South Wales from Prussia
The link for the A-Z Challenge 2011 post is HERE

3 comments:

  1. we take for granted that our Aussie roots come from the other side ofnthe wolrs, yet somehow the extent of your Australian roots is surprising. No wonder you feelmat home. we used to be taught at school that Englad fitted into Queensland many times, six I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the typos..am on the iPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem with typing on the iPad!

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...