Thursday 12 July 2012

Memories of Renior, Monet and Piaf

Back in the Summer of 1985 I visited the Hayward Gallery in London to see the Renoir Exhibition. I do still have a selection of postcards and the exhibition guide from that visit 27 years ago.

I phoned the friend last night who came with me to that exhibition and asked if she remembered. She dug deep into her memory pocket and said she did. We had a wander down memory lane and I mentioned that I still had the items I purchased that day. I could not recall what she had purchased and asked if she could remember. She could and tells me that it is on the rear of her bathroom door, and chuckles that I can not recall it. The poster has always lived on the rear of her bathroom door of the various houses she has lived in.

Dance at Le Moulin de la Galette 1876
Just as we were closing our conversation with a promise of speaking next week I was suddenly asked if I remembered going to the Monet Exhibition. For a moment I did not recall then suddenly remembered that we had planned to go somewhere else and stumbled across the event by accident. 

Here is a picture of my favourite Monet.
Water Lilies, 1920–1926
We carried on chatting for a bit and by the way of a parting shot, she mentioned a project we had worked on many years ago about Edith Piaf.

4 comments:

  1. What I always hate about art galleries is you can't take pictures. Especially now with digital cameras. They'd rather you pay $40 for a book or something. So usually memory is all you have to rely on. Unfortunately my memory stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to have a friend to help nudge your memories back into place. In Paris two years ago, my husband and I visited Monet's Gardens, where he painted the water lilies, and the restaurant where Renoir painted Luncheon of the Boating Party. It's so nice to stand where the artists stood. Today I'm writing about a French blog I enjoy. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great to have a friend to help with the memory retrieval ;-). I find Mr Cassmob often remembers complementary stuff to me, which is handy. I love the Impressionists and have been lucky to see a few exhibitions in Aus or overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my all time FAVOURITE paintings is Umbrellas by Renoir :)

    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...