Tuesday 28 August 2012

The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham

The Midwich Cuckoos by John WyndhamThis was the read the August meeting of the local book group. Not my usual read, as I am not overly keen on science fiction, but it was an interesting book and whilst I am glad I read it, I can not say that I would particularly read it again.

This is quite a dated book, written in 1957. The storyline is an interesting concept and posed quite a discussion at the group.

Set in a village location, a dome is placed across the village. Once the dome is lifted it is established that every female in the village is pregnant. Once the children are aged 9 years it has become apparent that the children are not ordinary children and in fact they pose quite a threat. That threat has to be confronted and there are serious repercussions and consequences of doing so.

I did like the suspense factor. How was the issue going to be dealt with? and by whom? The book concludes, but there is no definitive conclusion, thus making way for another book. (A search via Google indicates that Wyndham did write 4 chapters of a sequel which he disbanded). Some of the writing was not especially fluid, but this was written in the late 1950s and whilst it would not be a book of choice it was a good read and a really good discussion followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...