Thursday 16 May 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday - The Agricultural Notebook by Primrose McConnell BSc

What a great little book this is. Essentially an early 20th Century farming and agricultural labouring encylopedia. 
The first edition was published in 1883, towards the end of the Victorian era, although this 9th Edition was published in 1919.




This 9th Edition contains a dedication to the author by his father as the author died in the last months of the First World War.




I get a sense with this book, of a labourer or farmer sitting at his table pondering on the details contained within the pages.  How to grow Sainfoin (page 222), Mowing and haymaking (page 79), Ear marking of cattle for registration (page 405), Analysing cream (page 346) or the complexities of milk secretion (page 346). 

Fascinating!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:40 pm

    WOW!!! This is such a wonderful treasure Julie and a beautiful dedication to his son, by the author. I can't help wondering where you came by this amazing publication...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely isn't it? I purchased this in an antique shop about 15 years ago. It is currently sitting in my to go pile as part of my cull.

      Delete
  2. What a treasure you have in this book. So much really interesting information from the late 1880's to compare with the changing times. Must have been very popular and well used to have a reprint. I'm always interested in this agricultural history as I write several genealogy blogs about my farming ancestors.

    I am visiting on The AtoZ RoadTrip, and I'm very glad I found your blog. I like your tied quilt background...I'm a quilter and quilting was my AtoZ Theme entitled The LoneStar Quilting Bee. I think you'd enjoy my stories. I'm a new follower. So nice to meet you.

    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    Rattlesnake Butte on AtoZ RoadTrip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thanks for stopping by & likewise, nice to meet you. I will stop by your blog tomorrow when I am at the laptop, this iPhone is too small for enjoying blog pages. Thanks for the follow. Until tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...