Sunday 16 June 2013

Filofax - Part Four

Back in January I wrote three posts about going back to my Filofax, You can read those posts  here -
  1. Part 1
  2. Part 2 
  3. Part 3
Well, six months later and I am still not completely happy with my structure or the actual Filofax I am using.

This year has been a challenge. For the simple reason that I am living a completely different lifestyle to usual and as such I have been trying to do what I usually did when I left the house at 7.30 and came home about 12 hours later. Whilst I have changed my schedule I have not changed how I record, plan and note the various details of my existence.

The biggest issue I have is that I often am somewhere and I want to jot something down. If it is the name of a book or item in a shop I can take a quick photograph with my iPhone, but on occasions I have had an idea and want to capture it before I forget.  Therefore what I need is paper!

At the end of last week in my study I reacquainted myself with the following Filofax.



Now, I have had this particular design over 25 years and this has never been used. What is great is that it can be zipped and then becomes completely contained. 

On the left there is a popper section with a clear front (top picture), the ringed section. then a clear zipped section with ring loops (bottom photo) and a small wallet which is fixed in with velcro and can be attached to the rings. Behind that is a section for 3 cards and two dividers for paper or a cheque book or even a small A5 booklet.

So, On Friday afternoon I simply transferred all the material from my existing Filofax into the the one above. Including the memory stick, endless library cards and record office cards and a few professional membership details.



So over the course of the current week I am going to note down how many times I use the various sections. On Friday I shall re-evaluate the structure and I suspect have a bit of a cull.

The good thing with this particular file is that I can simply pop in things - shopping lists for example. I still handwrite those and I still often, no more than often leave them on the kitchen table or magneted to the fridge.

6 comments:

  1. Julie, I had forgotten all about Filofaxes. I remember when all the kids wanted them for birthday/Christmas presents. I try to be all digital but sometimes I resort to writing a quick note on a shop docket or scrap of paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a real rage in the 1980s+. I have only just taken apart the filofax I kept for locuming. For me they were an extension of journaling and diary keeping.

      I have kept a daily journal for 32 years and have every one of them. There is a whole chunk of my professional life that I can never share, should I ever decide to write my memoirs! However, I did share some of my emotions and feelings during that time with my journal and wrote a fictional account, based upon an entry or two of my journal from 1992 http://anglersrest.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-fictional-account.html

      I still keep a daily journal now. Like you though, I love the digital age, but I also like to write and that in itself is providing a legacy for the future.

      Anyway, it was your comment and my thinking of a response that prompted the fictional account and a further post or two, which might appear here, or via the In-Depth Genealogist. I have yet to decide!

      Delete
  2. My best friend had something like that through college and grad school (maybe still does). She kept EVERYTHING in it, including check book. She called it her "God book."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you be shocked to learn there's a whole world wide community of filofax users on web? We collect, share, trade, obsess and decorate them like mad. And we are also technology users but we love stationary! Philofaxy blog and several Facebook groups plus tons of you tube videos on our set up, unboxing of new ones and decorating pages. There are tons of free insertsv you can print yourself on the Philofaxy blog too. You might have a Vintage model there...what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I so like your Filofax! :) I've never seen a wallet which velcros in and can be attached to the rings for extra security. The zipped pocket also looks very sturdy. Do please let us know how you get on with it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...